Today’s question is quite simple, can you wear ankle boots with a dress to a wedding. It’s a simple concept: to dress up for an event, you put on a pair of good shoes. What could be more easy than that? However, many women struggle with this idea as it conflicts with the trend of dressing in heels and wedges. You might also find yourself wondering whether you should just wear your ankle boots for a wedding.
There are so many options and variations to choose from, it can be overwhelming for the fashion novice. It is important to know what kind of ankle boot shoes will complement your dress as a wedding guest and look appropriate for the bride’s wedding or the formal affair you’re attending. With that in mind, here are some tips to wearing ankle boots with dresses.
1. Don’t wear ankle boots with form fitting dresses or dresses that are very short. Instead, wear them with pencil skirt dresses, with a dresses that feature A-line skirts, or dresses with flowy skirts. This will elongate your look and make you appear taller than you actually are while also giving a glimpse of skin when you lift your skirt up slightly as you walk.
2. If you wear a floor-length dress, opt for a high heel ankle boot. Wear boots with dresses that are longer and that show at least 1/2 inch of leg at the hemline to give you height.
3. The third rule is for those who are not fans of heels: If you’re wearing flat shoes, then keep in mind that they are not as high as heels, they won’t add height or elongate your legs the way high-heeled shoes do.
4. A very important tip is for those who are just starting out with heels: It’s not a good idea to wear ankle boots with preppy or casual dresses where the dress fits closely at the waist. Wearing them together will make you look short and your legs look shorter than they really are. Instead, when wearing ankle boots with a loose, flowing style dress or skirt, go down one size. Also, be aware of how much skin your heeled ankle boots will show. You want to look polished and put together, not sloppy.
5. You should go for flat ankle boots to weddings since you’ll be standing the entire time, that means you should wear these boots along with a maxi dress that is floor-length so that your legs will not be exposed and visible during the ceremony.
6. Another option is to wear ankle boots with a knee length dress. This will give you height and keep your legs looking long, while also showing off your great boots. With this idea in mind, keep the following information in mind:
7. Don’t wear ankle boots with black formal dresses where the dress fits you tightly around your waist. Instead of elongating you and making you look taller than you really are, it will make you look shorter. Also don’t pair them with pencil dresses or very short dresses.
8. Instead of a colored heel, opt for something more neutral to match your dress. This can help make the height of the boot less noticeable and not draw attention to itself or make your outfit appear to be too crowded with color.
9. Another tip is to avoid wearing ankle boots with cap toes. This will make you look cheap, very short and fat in comparison to the other ladies at the wedding or formal event. Instead, opt for a flat open-toe or classic pointed-toe shoe, which will make you appear taller and slimmer.